Tuesday 3 November 2009

am I not representing students?

I’m doing my best to represent students, over the last few days I have recived a lot of criticism for doing the opposite. Listening and building democratic structures has been one of my keys objective so far, I’ve set up a new environmental forum in halls, and held its first meeting, passed through guild council a rigorous framework to hold the EEO to account regularly see the new terms of reference here.

I’ve also passed with help from my mentor tom guise a new terms of reference for the environmental working group that brings more students directly into to make sure GC mandates are directly carried on. I’m also lobbying to get a ethical working group set up that is open to students so, that the guild in its dealings with ethical issues can do so to the degree that students wish.

As for not representing students because I submitted motions to GC which would get the guild to lobby on behalf of individuals from other unions or people in the third world. I don’t thinks that fair; I could use my position as EEO to lobby for these things anyway. I’m not I tried to get guild councils permission to do so and GC decided rightly or wrongly against and I’m not doing so. Certianly officers in past have lobbied for things with there permission without going via GC using their executive power and thats something I always said I wouldn't do and I'm not.

Being representative and democratic is important to me and all my actions either come from my manifesto that students voted me in on or from GC mandates. I certainly see that there are horrible flaws in the guilds representative democracy the guild but I don’t try to abuse them to my own ends, after all I am personally attending protests as EEO? I am sending e-mails to the uni from my EEO account? No I’m not and if anyone is interested you’re more than welcome to go through my e-mails, any takers?

I’m working very hard to improve and build the guild democracy as are all the sabbatical team I’m very happy to meet up with anyone or talk about what I’m doing via e-mail or this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment